The new year is just around the corner. Here’s wishing you a happy & prosperous 2013.
Considering the growing use & abuse of alcohol amongst youngsters, here are a few facts on alcohol that I would like you to consider.
As a student of science, I invite you to evaluate the evidence and decide accordingly:
- Alcohol is a causal factor in more than 60 major types of diseases and injuries and results in approximately 2.5 million deaths each year.[WHO]
- 9% of all deaths between 15 and 29 are due to alcohol-related causes.
- Alcohol-impaired driving is a significant public health problem that affects both the drinker and in many cases innocent others.
- Alcohol is associated with many serious social and developmental issues, including violence, abuse & sexual assaults. (All the accused in the Delhi Rape case were drunk)
- Most cases of alcoholism are established by the age of 30 years with the peak prevalence at 18–23 years of age. [Academy Of Sciences]
- 20% of drinkers in India are dependent drinkers requiring help. [Lancet]
I appreciate that you face tremendous marketing & peer pressure to consume alcohol. Please be assured that alcohol is not a prerequisite and has nothing to do with having fun or being cool / sexy / successful.
Life is precious and has great wonders in store for you. The youth of 2013 has a lot going for it.
Make the prudent choice.
Wish you a happy & safe new year!